Custom Molded ESD Conductive Box
Title: ESD Protective Package
(Click on thumbnail to enlarge)
In the project highlighted here, high value, static sensitive optronics components required a product specific packaging solution. At Dewitt Plastics we specialize in packaging solutions for high value products such as this. This customer realized that a custom, limited volume solution would likely be cost prohibitive and contacted us for input on the development of a packaging system that would meet their requirements.
Our standard line of conductive plastic boxes provided a starting point for the program. They offered a cost effective solution to packaging and material handling applications of static sensitive components. They are composed of a specially engineered conductive polypropylene material that dissipates static and distributes charges. Surface resistivity is 102 - 106 OHMS / SQ, and volume resistivity is 102 - 106 OHM / CU. The single compartment configurations presented an opportunity to develop thermoformed inserts unique to the components being shipped.
Insert designs were dictated by a number of product specific requirements in addition to the ESD protection. Among the demands were the need to immobilize the component, allowing no movement in transit, nest the component in a manner that assured critical elements did not contact the shipping surface, and provide for ease of insertion and extraction from the shipper.
The customer's needs covered a series of similar but distinct components. Our recommendation was to develop a modular approach to meet the need. Development of several style specific thermoformed inserts matched to one of our standard conductive boxes provided a flexible solution whereby inserts could be purchased independently, and combined, as needed, with stock boxes at customer's facility. The result was a system that satisfied the need for a custom, limited volume, solution while providing flexibility and minimizing overall inventory investment. To learn more contact us directly.
- Product Name
- Custom Shipping Insert
- Product Description
- Conductive Box with Custom Conductive Insert
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
Hydraulic Die Stamping
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- 300 T Injection Molding Press
- Overall Part Dimensions
- Nominal 3 x 3 x 1
- Tightest Tolerances
- As necessary for application
- Material Used
- Box: Conductive Polypropylene
Insert: .050 Conductive ABS
- Material Finish
- Insert: Smooth; industry standard
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Certification regarding conductive values obtained from material supplier(s).
- Industry for Use
- Industrial Optronics Packaging
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- Custom project development time frame is a cooperative effort between vendor and customer. Identification of requirements and specifications, design development and prototype generation / approval can be impacted by customer involvement and prioritization. Development time estimates are provided at time of program initiation. Re-orders can generally be processed within 2 - 4 weeks, volume dependent.
- Delivery Location
- Mid central US
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D CAD Drawing
Back to Top